City at the Cross was birthed in 1953 as Bethany Chapel and was pastored by David E. Schoch. In 1986 David J. Copp became Senior Elder and served until 2000 when David F. Copp became Senior Elder. In 2015 City at the Cross Orange County was launched and we are now operating in both cities.
Pastor David Copp has been serving as Senior Elder of City at the Cross since 2000. In April of 2015 City at the Cross Orange County was launched and Pastor David together with his wife Christiana now give primary leadership to both CATC LB and CATC OC.
He and Christiana have been married for 24 years and have four children.
Pastor David J. Copp served as Senior Elder of City at the Cross from 1986 to the year 2000. He now provides apostolic oversight to Bridging the Gap Network in Japan and serves as a member of the Core Leadership Council of Congress WBN.
John serves as an Elder of City at the Cross Long Beach, as well as, gives primary leadership to various ministries at CATC LB.
He and his wife MaryJean have three children.
Jeff serves as an Elder to City at the Cross Long Beach, as well as, gives primary leadership to various ministries at CATC LB.
He and his wife Vanessa have two children.
Teddy serves together with the Eldership Team of City at the Cross Long Beach, as well as, gives leadership to various ministries at CATC LB.
He is married to Yadira.
At City at the Cross we believe in and adhere to certain fundamental principles of the Kingdom of God, which under-gird and guide all our operations and initiatives. These principles are that:
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God, is without error and is the ultimate authority in determining truth and the will of God. It is complete and contains all the principles of truth needed in matters of faith and conduct to attain the completion of divine purpose.
- There is one God, eternally existent as three persons, Father, Son (Jesus Christ) and Holy Spirit. God is the creator of all things, visible and invisible, and has total sovereignty over all He has made.
- The human race is fallen from the original standard of the image of God and is irretrievably lost in a sinful condition. Each human being is required by God to have personal faith in Christ, who is the only source of eternal life. His death on the Cross is the only transaction through which man can be redeemed.
- The Holy Spirit resident within every believer enables the producing of the fruit of the character of Christ. He provides guidance, teaching and leading into all truth in accordance with the principles of the Word of God. He provides gifts and graces to enable each believer, and the Church as a whole, to fulfill the purpose of God.
- The Church is made up of all persons believing in Christ, who are joined together into one spiritual body making up a spiritual nation for God.
- The eternal God-ordained purpose of the Church is to reign with Christ forever.
- From soon after the time of the book of the Acts of the Apostles, the Church began to enter into religious tradition, mental idolatry and apostasy. Eventually, despite much advance, the Church lost much Biblical truth, or else understood and implemented truth in a corrupt way.
- The Church is on a journey to restoration and discovery of all truth, and it is being built up in understanding and ability as well as in numbers.
- God has ordained apostles and prophets whose principal task is to receive divine wisdom and revelation of Biblical truth, proclaim it to the whole Church, and build the Church in accordance with what has been revealed.
- The end of the journey is the Church achieving perfection, being conformed to the character of Christ, the personal return of Christ and the attaining of immortality.
- To this end, God is building a new human race in Christ, with renewed understanding and motivation, free from the corruptions of the present age.
- The recovery of truth and the building of the character and power of the Church are opposed by invisible principalities and powers working from both outside and inside the Church. These principalities and powers have to be resisted and overcome. A major part of the strategy of the enemy is to work within the Church through establishment of dead religious tradition, invasion of corrupt values, and the counterfeiting of true ministry.
- Christ will not return until the journey is completed, the Church made ready, and all His enemies defeated.
- The Church is prophetically mandated in the Word of God to impact the nations of the earth with the rule and principles of the kingdom of God.
- The Church is required to cooperate with God in the management and accomplishment of His purpose. This cooperation is not passive, but involves taking initiatives as God allows and directs in the progress of the Kingdom.
- The Kingdom of God advances through a more and more complete proclamation of the revealed Word of God; the receiving of that Word in the hearts of men, and the activation of that Word into more effective accurate lifestyle and precise strategic purpose.
- Believers in Christ are required to absolutely separate themselves from wrong worldly values and principles; they are required to penetrate and prevail in the systems of the world in order to fulfill their God-given purpose and influence the world to submit to the Kingdom of God.
- The Church has God appointed leadership, both the five headship positions (apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers) and elders, who are given ability to lead and to be exemplary in lifestyle, through whom he directs and leads the Church in accordance with Biblical principles.
- The Church is responsible for policing itself independent of the political State. Local Kingdom communities are to be autonomous and self-governing and the primary source of life and fellowship for God’s people.
Every member must be committed to engage in a lifestyle that fully expresses the values of the Kingdom as defined by the Word of God. There must be a determination to ‘walk the walk, not just talk the talk‘. People must not simply be satisfied ‘to know‘ but must be committed ‘to do‘.
There is a requirement to break free of limiting personal characteristics and restrictive cultural mindsets to manifest the values of the Kingdom. Every member must engage in a continuous process of death to self, selfish desires and personal ambitions. This process is demonstrated in the need to recognize elements of sin in our lives, take responsibility for them and engage in the process of change.
Worship, Prayer & Study of the Word
Worship, Prayer and Study of the Word are key elements of our Kingdom lifestyle. Worship exalts and enthrones God in our midst, shaping the spiritual climate and characteristics of the assembly.
Our corporate prayer is primarily governmental in nature and is the medium through which the Will of God is declared and enforced in the earth. It is also the means by which we participate in Kingdom advance.
We are a modern, yet ancient people; competent to function in the secular structures of the world system; completely aware and tuned in to the social, historical, political and economic developments that shape human life on earth, yet fully embracing the unchanging principles and tenets of the faith as established in the Word of God. This position is reflected in the passionate encouragement of individual prayer and study of the Word.
We are far removed from the static positions of a religious faith built around a church service but have entered into the reality of God’s ever-changing and advancing purpose. In this context, mobility, journeying, transitioning and movement towards more accurate positions in God, define the life and mentality of the GBKC member.
We recognize that, as created beings we were made to serve, not be served. This is personified in the life of Christ and must be the defining characteristic of every City member. It is also a key value of CATC as a servant church to the global church community.
God is communal, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, seamlessly comprising one God. We are made in the image and likeness of God and are expected to express His communal nature. This understanding defines how we relate one to the other and how we build the community. Growth only comes through joining and participation, with each part doing its share in love, for the benefit of every individual and the entire body. Shared Life must be the reality of our lifestyle not only within CATC, but it must also animate our relationships with the wider community God has joined us to across the globe.
City at the Cross is mandated to bring reformation and restructuring to the global Church and to proclaim to all the nations of the earth a bold new kingdom advance for the 21st Century.
As such, we cannot be insular in our operation or mentality. Every member is required to participate in this global mandate through strong governmental decrees over the nations of the earth, sacrificial service and the transformation of mentalities consistent with the global reality of the Kingdom.
The Lord is crafting a people of universal significance and influence. Our increasing globalness releases relevant resources toward the destruction of anti-Kingdom systems and the establishment of God’s Kingdom across the nations of the earth.
City at the Cross is apart of Congress WBN, which is a unique, faith-based organization effecting human, social and national transformation throughout the earth.
Congress WBN pursues human-development initiatives in nations around the globe through partnerships with national governments, development institutions, and like-minded organizations and individuals.
Congress WBN has eight sectors of strategic global initiatives, supporting global networks of professionals, educational institutions, businesses, churches, individual national leaders, university students, and global technology initiatives.
With primary bases in Trinidad and Tobago and London, UK, Congress WBN’s diverse global operations are based on values such as integrity, humility, leadership through servant-hood, excellence and achievement through sacrifice.
With operations in over 100 nations and on every continent, Congress WBN is more than an organization, it is a truly borderless, global community. Our members share a common faith and well-defined values that govern our operations as well as their lives.